Friday, January 23, 2009

Where The Dislike Is

I hate Playstation Home. There's nothing to do there except wander around looking at the pretty graphics, play that UFO game in the central plaza, agonize over the face editor while looking at photo references of my own face, and spend money on clothing and a mountain apartment.

So why do I do all these things? Why have I bought a shirt, a pair of pants, two pairs of glasses, and a mountain retreat apartment? Why do I log in and wander around and not chat with anyone, and fail to decide whether I want to go with the more accurate brown hair or the better looking blue?

Well, okay, I know why I bought the mountain apartment. I was curious what it looked like, and it was five bucks. And I know why I bought the glasses -- they were a buck each, and the two pairs of default glasses look nothing like the ones I wear. (As it turns out, the bought ones don't, either; damnit.)

And I kinda know why I wander around. It's a confluence of factors. First, there's the novelty of actually existing in a virtual environment that's somewhat akin to those I read about in science fiction for ages and ages -- a fake world to be in, and not a set of skinned goals. Second, it's not demanding. When I play other games, lately, they feel like work, even when they aren't, so Home is an opportunity to engage in an activity I like (project myself into a virtual environment) without having to deal with any stress. Third, it really is pretty, if you can get by the vacant looks on the faces of (or so it seems) every character but mine -- you'd be surprised what a bit of tweaking the advanced eye and mouth options can do to make a Home character look less like these, especially if you're willing to introduce a bit of asymmetry.

I really don't like it, though. The environments need to be bigger and more seamless and there needs to be more stuff to do.

And I'm not buying any furniture. That shit is ridiculous -- the only way to make Home less boring is to walk around its environments, so what's the use of things that you can only sit stationary on?

5 comments:

myfragged said...

you are trapped by the system! admit it, you have to play it even if you don't like it, because THEY tell you to play. they're inside your head! you're already lost.
but, okay, one thing remains dark secret... *drums* why don't you chat with anyone?

Stephenls said...

I'm naturally shy.

myfragged said...

Yeah, naturally. So in the second life service shouldn't you be a 'hi baby wanna go for a ride' super-guy? You SO don't get the idea of the virtuality, the developers would feel failed if they knew.
You're weird.
;)

myfragged said...

Happy birthday, Stephen.
Better gameplay, cuter graphics and nicer stories! And I'm not talking about video games.
26, oh, you're so grown up.

Stephenls said...

Thankee!